Become a CNU Member
Add Your Voice to CNU-CTX!
As we advocate for making better places for people in Central Texas, we’re building a vocal CNU-CTX chorus.
Join CNU now at levels of $40 and up. Each membership level has great benefits. When you join the national organization, you automatically receive membership in CNU-CTX – a great platform for thought leadership, advocacy, education and making a difference.
Our local chapter of the Congress for the New Urbanism is made up of people who are passionate about working together to positively shape the built environment in Austin and Central Texas.
The Congress for the New Urbanism is the nation’s leading organization promoting walkable, mixed-use neighborhood development, with transportation choices, as a critical element of healthy, sustainable communities. Our Central Texas work is guided by the Charter for the New Urbanism, a time-tested and inspiring set of principles for designing and creating better communities.
What do we do?
CNU-CTX organizes civic involvement opportunities and educational/social events. We engage leaders, partners, and allies through member-led initiatives. Along the way, we develop friendships and professional knowledge, skills, and relationships. CNU-CTX actively supports:
- Education and awareness for leaders, local elected officials, and the general public
- Codes and public policies that advance walkable urbanism
- Activating Imagine Austin, and its policies to make our city Compact & Connected
- Human-scaled development that follows traditional town-planning principles – compact, well-designed, walkable and bikable, transit-connected, sustainable
- Mixed-use, mid-rise infill projects that follow good urban design principles
- A reversal of course away from unsustainable sprawl, to protect regional livability and sustainability